|All Saints Church, Maidenhead
One of only two grade I listed buildings in Maidenhead - Brunel’s railway bridge over the Thames is the other - All Saints was designed by G. E. Street and built in 1855-7. The spire was added in 1864-5 and the church was extended by his son in 1910-11.
After several large pieces of stone fell from the spire in 2005 a visual inspection found signs of significant corrosion of metalwork built into the bed joints between the top of the tower and the base of the spire.
A detailed appraisal concluded that this metalwork was not structurally required and could be removed (it was probably added to help tie together the top of the spire while it was being constructed). A radar survey carried out once the spire was scaffolded found a 2-inch (50mm) circular iron rod encased in concrete behind the facing Bath stone just above the base of the spire that acts as a tie.
A key part of our work was to anticipate the extent of structural repairs so that the best possible tenders were obtained. Once the scaffold was erected we than carried out a detailed appraisal of the spire alongside the architect.
The repairs include the replacement of the corroded wrought iron rod that passes through the solid tip of the spire. Here we had to understand how the top of the spire was first built and worked closely with the contractor and the specialist metalwork sub-contractor to discuss buildability issues while we prepared details.
The contract started in May 2008 and completed in March 2009.
|St Peter & St Paul Church, Leybourne
Initial investigations found significant decay to several areas of the 14thcentury chancel roof to this grade II* listed church. A key part of the brief was to retain the maximum amount of original fabric and a range of repairs were developed in close conjunction with the architect to suit each particular location.
St Mary's Church, Summerstown
The listed church has a hall built in the early 1970s in timber frame with 11m long plywood beams. Water ingress through the roof finishes has caused significant decay and damages to several of the beams. We worked closely with a timber specialist to identify areas which required further investigations. Structural repair was carried out with the replacement of damaged timber and new plywood.
Outside the church a 1933 lych gate was in a poor condition. It was repaired with discrete, local improvements to increase the stiffness of the structure.